Saturday, August 14, 2010

Humility.


As some of you may or may not know, I have been struggling with my health for the last week. By the grace of God I am almost completely better, but it has felt like a really long time to be sick.
I know that it's never fun to be sick, but I find it's especially hard to be sick when I'm away from home. All week I just really wanted to have my family with me, to lie in my bed, and to eat (North American) chicken noodles soup (please don't be offended Guatemala).
I also find that it's especially hard to be sick when I am really busy and have a lot that calls for my time and attention.
I also find that it's especially hard to be sick when you know that you are lying in bed (with a not-so-great attitude) while everyone else (or at least it feels like everyone else) is out doing something fun.
Those have been struggles for me.

I always struggle with God as to what He is trying to teach when I'm sick. Before I share what I think God is trying to teach me, I need to explain something about myself:
I'm kind of a slow learner (can I an "Amen" from those who can relate? Thank you).
Like it takes me quite a long time to learn something new.
Or at least it feels like a long time.
Maybe I'm just impatient...
Skip the last thought-keep following the slow learner thought.
For example: I clearly remember the first time I had to do laundry and my mom taught me how to use the washing machine.
Now you and I both know that washing machines aren't THAT complicated, but-oh wow-I know that it took me at least 5 loads of laundry where I had to ask my mom to re-show me how to use the machine before I could do it right on my own.
Don't worry though.
I know some of you moms were getting a bit stressed for a minute there so I just wanted to calm your nerves:
I have been a successful clothing-cleaner (with AND without a machine) for quite some time now. I CAN do my own laundry.
I just wanted to clear that up.
Anyways...

So I think my slow learner issue applies to the lessons God tries to teach me, because-man!-it feels like like it takes a lot of reminders and re-teachings from God before I really understand a concept He is trying to teach me.

So back to what I think God is trying to teach me (for at least the thousandth time):

humility

Hmm.

That's a tough one to swallow-hey?

When I am sick I am humbled in many ways:
1. When I am really ill I rely on others for almost everything. Getting me food, water, clothing, and sometimes even cleaning me up. That is very humbling for me.
2. I look disgusting when I am sick. Really-I do.
My face is pale (well, paler than usual), sweaty, and sometimes green looking.
My body just stinks in general because I don't have the strength or energy to stand for long enough to have a shower. (DO NOT WORRY. I did, in fact, bath more than once this week and I am now clean.)
My hair has a party that Organization and Order weren't invited to, so you can just imagine what goes on up there.
You get the picture.
3. I miss out on fun things. I don't get to be a part of everything. I don't get attention. (Or at least I don't get attention except for the attention people looking after me give me). I don't get to be included in things. I don't know what's going on in everyone's lives.
Now, all of those things aren't necessarily BAD things in and of themselves, but when my desire for them stems from the pride in my heart, then we have a problem.

humility

I'm going to need God to keep working on my heart on that one.

Thank you LORD for your grace.
Thank you LORD that you do not give up on us.
Thank you LORD for your patience.

Much love to you all,
Michelle


2 comments:

  1. Hi Mushy

    Anthea, Mum and I just read your latest posting togther and we had a great laugh about the hair up there - remember the Bird's Nest episode in the UK? Love you so much Dad xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Padre:

    Bahaha-how could I forget?! I hope it is forever ingrained in my memory.
    I am so glad it made you guys laugh-haha-I kind of thought it would.

    Love you guys so so much.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete